Gone are the days when education was enough to get you a high paying job. More and more people are going to colleges for higher education. As a result, a degree alone cannot promise you a fulfilling job.
Most companies nowadays expect freshers to have internship experience. Getting an internship is only difficult if you don’t know where to look. For instance, there are plenty of opportunities for internships in Mumbai for 12th pass students.
So if you are confused about where to start looking for an internship, follow this 3 step guide:
Contemplate on your Qualifications
When searching for an internship, one of the most common mistakes that students make is that they apply to every internship that catches their eyes. They assume it will increase their odds of landing an internship but what they receive is silence from the recruiters.
The correct way to go about it is to evaluate your qualifications as well as your skills. By doing so you will be able to find positions that are a good match for you. Here are a few pointers to consider:
- Look for career options in relevance to your degree or major.
- Identify skills that are transferable from your school life that could be beneficial, like organizational skills, time management, communication skills, etc.
- Don’t forget to explore your interests. Make a list of all the career options that you think you might like and see if there are any internships available.
- Don’t feel pressured to find internships at big companies. There is no harm in applying at small businesses, especially if you don’t have any prior experience.
Know Where to Look
Once you have figured out what kind of internship you want to do, the next step is to locate it. You need to find out where such internships are available and apply for them. Here are the options you can go for:
- You can easily search for internships on various job sites. Start off by searching for the role and then narrow it down by your preferences like location, industry, etc.
- Seeking help from your college’s career resources is also a good way to find internships.
- Attending career and job fairs can also prove to be beneficial because you can meet the recruiters face to face.
- Building your network can also provide you with various opportunities. Getting a personal recommendation can make a huge impact on your internship experience.
- If you a particular company in mind that you wish to contact, do not hesitate to contact them directly. It may seem like a long shot, but you never know when you might get lucky!
Prepare Your Application
Be it a job or an internship, there are a few items that a recruiter always needs from a candidate.
- Make a professional resume. Do not clutter it with too many details. Keep it clean, precise as well as easy to read.
- Write a personalized cover letter. Do not repeat the same things as what you mentioned in your resume. Write about the skills and qualities that make you the perfect fit for the job.
- Most recruiters ask for your LinkedIn, so remember to keep it updated.
Once you have aced the first three steps, all that is left to do is ace that interview. Whether you are searching for internships in Mumbai for 12th pass or internships during the summer break of your college semester, this guide will help you get the part. Just remember to stay confident and put your best foot forward. Good luck!